Filipino professor found dead in apartment in Libya

  • An OFW was found dead inside his apartment in Benghazi, Libya
  • The victim works as a professor at the University of Benghazi
  • His body will be repatriated to the Philippines once police has given the clearance to do so

A Filipino professor at the University of Benghazi in Libya was found dead inside an apartment he was renting.

The body of the 33-year-old professor Joel Valete was discovered on May 23 with his hands and feet bound and his mouth gagged.

Initial investigations also indicated he had suffered from a head injury. However, authorities saw no signs of forced entry.

The case to find out the cause of death and to round up any possible suspects is still underway. Meanwhile, the family of the late professor is seeking justice for his death and is appealing for the  swift repatriation of his remains.

Sana mabigyan ng katarungan ang pagkamatay ng kapatid ko kasi lubos kaming nasaktan sa ngayon. Dahil hanggang ngayon, wala pa yung bangkay niya sa Pilipinas. [Hopefully we will have justice for the death of my brother because we are immensely hurt by what happened. Until now, his remains have not arrived in the Philippines],” the victim’s brother Jess Valete told ABS-CBN News.

The family also took to social media to express their grief over the death of Joel Valete. His brother Jesse wrote on Facebook:

Aming bunso kailangan mabigyan namin ng katarungan ang iyong pag kawala.. sa mga walang pusong gumawa sayo nyan. Umalis kang puno ng magandang pangarap.. ngayon babalik ka na wala ng buhay… kabsat ko.. ading ko.. bunso… MAHAL NA MAHAL KA NAMIN..

[Our youngest, we need to give you justice for your death from those heartless people who did this to you. You left with so much good dreams, and now you return lifeless. My brother, my dear youngest. We love you very much.]”

The Philippine Embassy in Tripoli, the capital of Libya, has confirmed the death of the overseas Filipino worker. Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) Assistant Secretary Charles Jose says they are only waiting for the clearance from the Libyan police so they can immediately repatriate the remains.

The family also hopes they can receive financial assistance as the late professor was their sole breadwinner.