- Fox Sports host Colin Cowherd said Mayweather vs McGregor is a done deal
- He said he received an intel confirming the fight will happen this September
- He added that the official announcement will be coming in 2 weeks
Fox Sports host Colin Cowherd revealed that he received an intel confirming that retired former pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather Jr. will come out of retirement and face UFC featherweight champion Conor McGregor inside the boxing ring.
Speaking on his podcast “The Herd”, Cowherd said the fight is a done deal and will happen in September this year.
Fox Sports quoted him as saying: “My intel is that Conor McGregor and Floyd Mayweather is going to happen. It changed late last week. I got a call, then somebody else sent me something yesterday and Saturday (saying) ‘we’ve booked rooms in Vegas’.”
Cowherd added that the official announcement about the fight of the two sports superstars will be coming in two weeks.
Mayweather previously said the only way he’ll come out of retirement is if his opponent is McGregor and not anyone else.
He described the UFC featherweight champion as ‘one of the best MMA fighters to ever stand up and do it.’
“He’s a strong fighter and when I look at his fights, he’s a little faster than I thought he was,” he added.
He disclosed that his team, Al Haymon and Leonard Ellerbe has locked down some dates, in different countries, in different cities in the United States for the possible fight.
If the fight pushes through, he said it would definitely be a boxing match.
Boxing Scene quoted him as saying between bouts during a four-fight “Shobox: The New Generation” broadcast: “We’re the A side. Of course, it has to be a boxing match, because most fight that Conor McGregor won inside the octagon, he was a stand-up guy. So I’m pretty sure it’s gonna be a tough fight for me.”
He also emphasized that he won’t accept anything below $100 million for the fight.
“We haven’t talked about money yet. And, you know me, that’s me. I’m gonna get a hundred million, of course. Every time I go out, you know, that’s my number,” he said.
As for McGregor, he responded to Mayweather’s statement through a tweet which read: “I run boxing”.