• The body of the toddler snatched by an alligator was recovered
• The body was completely intact, according to the Orange County Sheriff
• Five alligators were caught and cut open before the boy was found
The body of the two-year-old boy who was snatched by a 7-foot long alligator in Disney World’s Grand Floridian Resort and Spa in Orlando, Florida has been recovered by divers.
Orange County Sheriff Jerry Demings said the toddler’s body was “completely intact” and was taken to the medical examiner’s office for an autopsy. He identified the boy as Lane Graves.
“The two-year-old is Lane Graves. His body was completely intact. There’s likely no question in my mind that the child was drowned by the alligator,” the sheriff said.
Fox News said that according to Demings, the child was recovered in the water of the Seven Seas Lagoon roughly six feet deep, about 10 to 15 yards from the edge of the lagoon where the boy had been wading Tuesday night, June 14. Five alligators were caught and cut open before the boy was found.
Demings and a Catholic priest delivered the grim news to Matt and Melissa Graves, the victim’s parents.
“It was a tough message to deliver. Of course the family was distraught, but also I believe somewhat relieved that we were able to find their son, so that they can come to grips with what has happened,” Demings told a news conference.
The attack occurred at an area of the lagoon where “no swimming” signs were posted, but the signs gave no indication of a possible alligator threat.
In a statement, George A. Kalogridis, the president of Walt Disney World Resort, said: “There are no words to convey the profound sorrow we feel for the family and their unimaginable loss. We are devastated and heartbroken by this tragic accident and are doing what we can to help the family during this difficult time. On behalf of everyone at Disney, we offer our deepest sympathies.”
The Disney World shut off all its beaches and marina in Florida following the incident.