EgyptAir flight forced to make emergency landing over ‘bomb scare’

  • An EgyptAir flight was forced to make an emergency landing in Uzbekistan following a bomb scare
  • The plane was carrying 118 passengers and 17 crew members
  • Egyptian aviation officials later confirmed the bomb threat was a hoax
  • The incident came just weeks after EgyptAir Flight MS804 disappeared with 66 people onboard

An EgyptAir passenger aircraft flying from Cairo to Beijing was forced to make an emergency landing in Uzbekistan after authorities received a tip off from an anonymous caller about explosives allegedly onboard on Wednesday, June 8.

The Flight MS955 was reportedly carrying 118 passengers and 17 crew members who were immediately evacuated upon landing in an undisclosed Urgench airport.

Uzbekistan’s flag carrier Uzbekistan Airways confirmed the incident in a statement to the press.

“On the morning of June 8, information was received about a possible explosive device on board an A330-220 airliner belonging to an Egyptian air carrier and heading from Cairo to Beijing. Seventeen crew members and 118 passengers were on board the plane,” the statement read.

However, after a thorough search of the Airbus A330, investigators found no explosives and concluded that the bomb scare was merely a hoax.

“The plane is preparing to resume its journey. It was a hoax, thank God,” an Egyptian aviation source later told Reuters.

The incident came less than three weeks after EgyptAir Flight MS804 disappeared while flying over Mediterranean Sea from Paris to Cairo with 66 people onboard including 56 passengers and 10 crew members.

Wreckage of the plane including human body parts and passenger belongings were found after two days following an intensive search operation.

Early this month, French naval vessel joining the search has detected underwater signals from one of EgyptAir Flight 804’s black boxes, but there has been no report, so far, that the plane was finally found.

Investigators are now racing against time to find the remains of the missing aircraft as the batteries powering the flight recorders’ locator beacons could only last for 30 days.