- Gilas Pilipinas finished their nine-day intensive training camp in Greece
- They left for Turkey to face the Turkish national team for a tuneup game
- After their tuneup game, they’ll take part in a pocket tournament in Italy
- They will be facing Italy, China, and Canada
The 14-man lineup of the Philippine National Basketball Team, popularly known as Gilas Pilipinas, ended their nine-day intensive training camp in Greece on Sunday, June 19 and left for Istanbul, Turkey.
The players who made it to the ‘Final 14’ are:
- Jayson Castro (TNT)
- LA Tenorio (Barangay Ginebra)
- Ranidel De Ocampo (TNT)
- June Mar Fajardo (San Miguel Beer)
- Marc Pingris (Star Hotshots)
- Japeth Aguilar (Barangay Ginebra)
- Terrence Romeo (GlobalPort)
- Troy Rosario (TNT)
- Ryan Reyes (TNT)
- Andray Blatche (GlobalPort)
- Gabe Norwood (Rain or Shine)
- Jeff Chan (Rain or Shine)
- Calvin Abueva (Alaska)
- Ray Parks
They will be playing a tuneup match against the Turkish national team, which will be led by NBA veteran Ersan Ilyasova on Tuesday, June 21.
According to an article published by Philippine Daily Inquirer, Gilas Pilipinas head coach Tab Baldwin was pleased with how the team’s training camp in Greece turned out.
He wrote on his Twitter account: “Great camp, great bunch of guys, great work ethic, trying hard to build a great team for our country. #Gilasonmymind”
After their tuneup game in Turkey, the team will be flying to Bologna, Italy to take part in a four-team pocket tournament against Italy, China, and Canada.
Out of the 14 Gilas Pilipinas players, two will be placed on the reserved list for the upcoming 2016 FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournament.
A total of 18 teams will be joining the tournament and they have been divided into three groups.
The tournament will run from July 5 to 10 at the Mall of Asia Arena and only the winners of each of the groupings will qualify for the Rio Olympic Games.
Gilas Pilipinas, which flew out on June 10, is expected to come home to Manila on June 28.