McGregor’s coach: Mayweather vs McGregor will happen but put on hold

  • Conor McGregor’s coach said that Mayweather vs McGregor will happen eventually
  •  John Kavanagh said the fight has been put on hold
  • As of now, their camp is focusing on McGregor’s rematch against Nate Diaz

After Conor “The Notorious” McGregor’s  rematch with Nate Diaz at UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship) 202 was confirmed by UFC officials earlier this June, people thought that the talks about a possible match between the former and Floyd “Money” Mayweather Jr. also ended. However, McGregor’s coach, John Kavanagh, still believes that the fight will happen eventually.

MMA Fighting quoted the Straight Blast Gym Ireland (SBG) head coach as saying in an interview with MMA Underground: “I think that contest will happen eventually but it’s on hold for now. I’d be very surprised if it doesn’t at some stage. I think it’s a bigger fight; I think there’s a lot of intrigue about it.”

He added that if the fight eventually happens, he believes it would be a very interesting one.

“Who knows? We could upset the world. The great Ali said, ‘the impossible is nothing'”, he added.

As of now, their camp is focusing on McGregor’s rematch against Diaz which would take place at 170lbs and at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada on August 20.

Mayweather has been silent since the McGregor-Diaz rematch was confirmed.

The retired former pound-for-pound king said in previous interviews that he’ll come out of retirement if his opponent is McGregor whom he described as ‘one of the best MMA fighters to ever stand up and do it’.

He even shared a ‘poster’ seemingly promoting the Mayweather-McGregor showdown on his Instagram  and Facebook accounts.

Mayweather also disclosed that his team, Al Haymon and Leonard Ellerbe, has locked down some dates, in different countries, in different cities in the United States for the possible fight.

As for McGregor, he responded to Mayweather’s statement through a tweet which read: “I run boxing”.

 

Loading…