- Singer Prince died of accidental ‘opioid overdose’ as reported by a medical examiner
- Fentanyl toxity was listed as the singer’s cause of death
- Fentanyl is a highly addictive opiate that is more powerful than morphine
- It is used to treat patients with severe pain usually after surgeries
In a death report made by a medical examiner who had been investigating the sudden death of music superstar Prince, the singer died last April 21 of an accidental, self administered overdose of an opioid painkiller.
An article published by GMA News in reference with a story from Reuters stated that the Midwest Medical Examiner’s Office based in Anoka County, Minnesota, listed “fentanyl toxicity” as the singer’s cause of death.
Fentanyl is a highly addictive opiate that is more powerful than morphine and is used to treat patients with severe pain, often after surgeries.
According to the report, the investigation of Prince’s death had centered on painkillers after prescription opioid medication was found at the scene and after reports he had been struggling with an addiction and been scheduled to meet with a doctor who specializes in treating dependency.
It took weeks for officials to include federal authorities like the Drug Enforcement Administration to release the report with the report because they were waiting for the results of toxicity tests.
Meanwhile, an article published by CNN mentioned that the report didn’t specify how the drug was taken and if the fentanyl was prescribed or illegally made.
At the time of his death, Prince reportedly weighed 112 pounds and was 63 inches tall.
The full autopsy and toxicology reports, it stated, will not be released.
In relation, earlier reports stressed that Prince, whose full name was Prince Rogers Nelson, did not leave a will, and his multimillion-dollar estate including royalties from his more than 30 albums is being handled by a court.
Among the hits of the iconic songwriter included “Purple Rain” and “When Doves Cry.”