- Mayweather vs McGregor won’t happen
- McGregor will be facing Nate Diaz at UFC 202 for a rematch
- UFC officials confirmed that McGregor-Diaz 2 will happen on August 20
Floyd “Money” Mayweather Jr. won’t be fighting Conor “The Notorious” McGregor this September since the mixed martial arts (MMA) superstar will get his rematch with Nate Diaz at UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship) 202 on August 20.
McGregor’s return to the octagon was confirmed by UFC officials on Saturday night, June 4, at UFC 199.
According to an article published by Independent, the UFC vice president of public relations confirmed that the fight would take place at 170lbs and at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada.
People are waiting for Mayweather’s reaction to the news especially since he said in previous interviews that he’ll come out of retirement if his opponent is McGregor.
Mayweather described McGregor as ‘one of the best MMA fighters to ever stand up and do it’.
“He’s a strong fighter and when I look at his fights, he’s a little faster than I thought he was,” he added.
He disclosed that his team, Al Haymon and Leonard Ellerbe, has locked down some dates, in different countries, in different cities in the United States for the possible fight.
If the fight pushes through, he said it would definitely be a boxing match.
Fox Sports host Colin Cowherd claimed he received an intel confirming that the undefeated American boxer will face the UFC featherweight champion inside the boxing ring.
Speaking on his podcast “The Herd”, Cowherd said the fight will happen in September this year.
Fox Sports quoted him as saying: “My intel is that Conor McGregor and Floyd Mayweather is going to happen. It changed late last week. I got a call, then somebody else sent me something yesterday and Saturday (saying) ‘we’ve booked rooms in Vegas’.”
Cowherd added that the official announcement about the fight of the two sports superstars will be coming in two weeks.