AFP resumes war against New People’s Army

  • The AFP resumed military operations against the communist rebels
  • Likewise, PNP Chief Dela Rosa cancelled the Suspension of Offensive Police Operations versus the communists
  • The resumption of operations against the communist rebels started after President Duterte cancelled the ceasefire with the CPP-NPA

The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) is now on red alert following President Rodrigo Duterte’s lifting of the unilateral ceasefire with communist rebels after the armed component of the Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP), the New People’s Army (NPA), ambushed the Civilian Armed Forces Geographical Unit last week.

As noted in a Mindanao Times article dated August 1, 2016,  after cancelling the ceasefire, President Duterte ordered all security forces to be on high alert and continue to discharge their normal functions and mandate to neutralize all threats to national security, protect the citizenry, enforce the laws and maintain peace in the land.

AFP Chief of Staff Ricardo Visaya said all troops will resume combat operations against the NPA.

“The NPA have missed a golden opportunity to manifest their commitment to the attainment of our citizen’s much sought peace throughout the land,” Visaya wrote on his Facebook page.

“This could have been what the Filipino nation had been waiting for – the silencing of the guns that could have hastened development especially in the countryside. As things now stand, the AFP will abide by the ensuing orders of the Commander-in-Chief President Rodrigo Duterte following this development. I am ordering all our forces to resume their normal mandated tasks and work to neutralize all threats to national security, protect the citizenry, enforce the laws and maintain peace in the land,” the AFP Chief said.

Brig. Gen. Restituto Padilla, AFP spokesperson, said troop deployment started on Saturday night following President Duterte’s orders.

Likewise, Philippine National Police Chief Director General Ronald Dela Rosa ordered all police units to be on alert following the cancellation of the unilateral ceasefire.

“All office/units must be on high alert and continue to discharge their normal functions and mandate to neutralize all threats to national security, protect the citizenry, enforce the law and maintain peace in all areas of responsibility. In this regard, a lifting/withdrawal of Suspension of Offensive Police Operations against the communist rebels is hereby declared nationwide effective immediately,” he said.

 

Loading…