Duterte says Napoles case deserves a second look for it involves corruption and De Lima – Report

  • President Duterte revealed plans to revisit the Napoles case
  • The President promised “revealing things” about the case
  • Raising the Napoles issue, the president said, is part of his deal with the Filipino people to stop corruption in the country

President Rodrigo Duterte plans to revisit the Napoles case, saying he has some revealing things to say about it.

In a news conference early Sunday morning, August 21, the President revealed his plan to revisit the case of Janet Lim-Napoles, a businesswoman accused of masterminding the so-called Priority Development Assistance Fund scam or pork barrel scam where billions of public funds were misused by several lawmakers. Napoles is serving a life sentence at the Correctional Institution for Women for the serious illegal detention of whistleblower Benhur Luy.

“In between, far and wide in this controversy, I will now raise again the Napoles issue,” the President said.

According to an article published by GMA News Online on August 21, 2016, President Duterte linked Senator Leila De Lima to the case.

“The Napoles case should deserve a second look for it also involves corruption and De Lima,” he said.

As mentioned in Rappler, raising the Napoles issue, according to the President, is part of his deal with the Filipino electorate to stop corruption in the country.

“There are billions and billions of pesos lost. We’ve been able just only to put several lawmakers inside, but only because the charge, the accusation is non-bailable,” Duterte noted.

Senators Ramon “Bong” Revilla, Jr, Jinggoy Estrada and Juan Ponce Enrile have been charged and detained in connection with the case, but the President said it is not enough vindication for the Filipino people. Enrile was granted bail by the Supreme Court earlier this year due to his advanced age and health condition.

Loading…

1 Comment

Comments are closed.