• The Malacañang Palace said the late president Ferdinand Marcos would be given a burial fitting a president
• President Duterte said Marcos, a former soldier and president of the Philippines, is qualified to be buried at Libingan ng mga Bayani
• The late strongman is set to be interred on September 18
The late president Ferdinand E. Marcos, Sr. would be accorded burial ceremonies fit for a president at the Libingan ng mga Bayani, says Presidential spokesman Ernesto Abella.
Abella said no exact date for the interment has been set. He said the only thing certain is that Marcos “would be accorded ceremonies fitting a president.”
Despite protests from critics of the Marcoses and victims of human rights abuses during the martial law years of the Marcos regime, President Rodrigo Duterte gave his go signal for the hero’s burial. The President earlier said that just for being a former soldier who fought for the country during the Second World War, Marcos is qualified to be buried at the Heroes’ Cemetery.
As mentioned in Inquirer, Abella clarified that the planned hero’s burial for the late president did not violate or dilute any existing law.
“He (Duterte) is not making any reference to / or in dilution of any law. First and foremost, these are two different levels. We’re talking about historical perspective. We’re talking about something that’s being done, based on presidential decision, based on law. So they’re not necessarily contradictory as far as PRRD (Duterte) is concerned,” Abella was quoted by Inquirer as saying.
Former senator Ferdinand Marcos, Jr., the late strongman’s son and namesake, announced earlier this week that they plan to bury his father on September 18.