MANILA, Philippines -“Kung si Bruno Mars lang, he really wanted to come. It’s just that his agent kept on reminding him that he has to have proper rehearsals for the world tour.”
This was the statement of Tourism Undersecretary Kat de Castro during an interview on radio DZMM Sunday, January 15, wherein she announced that the half-Filipino international singer won’t be performing at the coronation night of the 65th Miss Universe pageant on January 30.
Mars 85-date “24K Magic World Tour” will kick off in Antwerp, Belgium in March.
He was previously rumored to perform at the Miss Universe coronation night after Tourism Secretary Wanda Teo told the members of the media last November that a well-known artist with Filipino roots is set to perform in the pageant.
At the time, Teo neither confirmed nor denied when she was asked by the press if she’s referring to Mars.
As per an ABS-CBN News article, de Castro said although she still can’t disclose specific details, she gave an assurance that the audience won’t be disappointed with the artists who will be performing at the coronation night.
She said: “International standards tayo. Hindi pa puwede sabihin kasi gusto ng Miss Universe sila ang mag-a-announce [I can’t talk about it because Miss Universe wants to be the one to announce it]. I can assure you naman this is a show that not only the Filipinos will enjoy but even the whole world kasi ‘yung mga darating na performers, kumbaga kilalang-kilala ‘yung mga kanta nila [their songs are really popular].”
When asked to give clues, she said: “We are expecting one group and one singer.”
The Organization will announce the performers as well as the judges after all the candidates have paid their courtesy call to President Rodrigo Duterte on January 23.