Duterte on Miss Universe coronation: I’m not going there

  • President Rodrigo Duterte will not be present during the 65th Miss Universe coronation in the Philippines
  • Duterte, however, expressed support to the candidates; wishing them luck on the competition
  • Miss Universe 2015 Pia Alonzo Wurtzbach, the third Filipina to win the crown, will pass the crown on January 30 at the Mall of Asia Arena in Pasay City

President Rodrigo Duterte will not be present during the 65th Miss Universe coronation night which will be held at the Mall of Asia Arena in Pasay City on Monday, January 30.

In an interview with Victoria Tulad of GMA News on the night before the pageant, the president said he will not attend the prestigious pageant which is taking place again in the Philippines after 23 years. To note, the Department of Tourism (DOT) disclosed earlier that Duterte would be seated at the VIP section should he decide to attend the event.

“Mabuting tahimik muna ako…. I’m not going there,” Duterte said while onboard a plane on his way to Manila from Davao City.

Still, Duterte gave a short message to inspire the Miss Universe 2016 candidates.

“I wish you all luck and may the best woman win,” he said.

Earlier this month, the President welcomed Miss Universe candidates at Malacañang. Addressing the pageant contestants he gushed how he had never been in a “roomful of beautiful women”; adding “I hope this day will never end.”

He also thanked the Miss Universe officials for allowing the Philippines to host the international pageant.

“More than presenting beauty and brains, the Miss Universe competition or any beauty contestant for that matter is an opportunity for you to represent your country, to promote your advocacies, and to advance women empowerment to a greater audience,” he stated.

Miss Universe Pia Alonzo Wurtzbach, the third Filipina to win the crown, will be the one to pass on the crown to the 65th Miss Universe.

Loading…