Creepy! Cockroach enters woman’s nostril, gets stuck in her skull

  • Sleeping woman awoke to burning sensation inside her nostril and head
  • She was rushed to hospital where surprised doctors extracted a live cockroach from her skull
  • Doctors glad she sought medical attention quickly before it got worse

What could be scarier than a flying cockroach? How about one that gets stuck in your skull?

A 42-year-old woman from India had to endure having a creepy crawly literally lodge itself inside her head for 12 hours before doctors were able to successfully extract it.

The patient, a domestic worker from Injambakkam named Selvi, said she was asleep when she felt something crawl up inside her right nostril.

“My immediate reaction after feeling that crawling sensation in the right nostril was to brush it off in half sleep”, the Daily Mail quoted her as saying. “But before I could do anything, it went inside. I could not explain the feeling but I was sure it was some insect. There was a tingling and crawling sensation. Whenever it moved, it gave me a burning sensation in my eyes.”

After visiting a clinic where she was reportedly told that they couldn’t find anything wrong, Selvi — who was having difficulty breathing at this point — was then rushed to the government-run Stanley Medical College and Hospital. There, doctors from the ENT department got the shock of their lives when they saw the creepy crawly in the nasal cavity between the eyes and close to the brain.

“It was a full grown cockroach,” department head Dr. M N Shankar said. “It was in the nasal cavity between the eyes, close to the brain. It was alive. And it didn’t seem to want to come out.”

Shankar added that it was his first time seeing such a case in his 30 years of medical practice.

After nearly an hour, the team was able to extract the roach from its hiding place using forceps and a suction apparatus.

In the aftermath, Shankar was glad Selvi sought medical attention quickly before things got worst.

“If left inside, it would have died before long and the patient would have developed infection which would have spread to the brain,” he explained.

To see the video of extraction, click on the image.  (Warning: this is not for the squeamish or faint-hearted)

Click on the image to watch the vid clip.