Heartbreaking: Calgary mom posts photo with dying son to warn about opioid abuse

Calgary, Canada – Fentanyl doesn’t kill only addicts. This was the strong message by a distraught mother from Canada who shared a photo of her dying son on Facebook  to stress the dangers of opioids.

Sherri Kent, from Calgary,  said her 22-year-old son Michael had taken a fatal dose of fentanyl, a powerful pain killer said to be 100 times stronger than heroin and 50 times stronger than morphine.

Sherri said her son wasn’t a drug addict. He was trying what he thought was heroin but was actually fentanyl.

Her emotional post went viral and gained sympathy from around the world.

In her post, it shows a sobbing Sherri holding her unconscious son in his hospital bed following an overdose of fentanyl.

“My son was not an addict he made a mistake that cost him his life,” Kent wrote in a Facebook post.

“It’s out of control and there is no way to protect our children from this other than to warn them of the dangers of drug use,” she added.

Abuse of opioids has increased in Canada in recent years; with hospital admissions for poisoning linked to fentanyl soaring from 42 in 2012 to 418 in 2015.

Fentanyl was first developed by a Belgian chemist in 1959. It is used by doctors as an anaesthetic but has also become available on the black market as a recreational drug and is increasingly found mixed with heroin.