- Aguirre has accused Mayor Osmeña of being a drug lord protector
- He also threatened to file a case against the Cebu City mayor
- Osmeña said he is willing to be investigated and called Aguirre a ‘fool’
MANILA, Philippines – A war has erupted between Cebu City Mayor Tomas Osmeña and Justice Secretary Vitaliano Aguirre; this after the former threatened to file a disbarment case against the justice official for allegedly meddling in the tax case the city government filed against Banco De Oro.
Aguirre responded on Monday by accusing Osmeña of protecting drug lord Jeffrey “Jaguar” Diaz. The DOJ chief made public an affidavit executed by Diaz’s cousin, Reynaldo “Jumbo” Diaz, claiming Osmeña received a total of P7-M from the slain drug lord.
He said he authorized the release of Diaz’s statement upon the request of the Task Force Commander Against Illegal Drugs of the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) “to encourage individuals possessing additional knowledge or information to come forward and corroborate the same”.
Also named in the affidavit as drug lord protectors, according to Aguirre, are retired police general and now Daanbantayan town mayor Vicente Loot and four other police officers whom he did not specify.
Aguirre said he will file a case against Osmeña as the affidavit showed the mayor is in Diaz’s payroll.
But Osmeña seems unperturbed by Aguirre’s threat and said he is willing to submit himself to investigation and would even undergo a lie detector test.
Osmeña also reminded Aguirre about the DOJ’s participation in the dismissal of cases against controversial businessman Peter Lim and his nephew, David Lim Jr., who was involved in a road rage shooting last year.
He also called Aguirre a ‘fool’ for defending himself by saying he’s ‘innocent because Mayor Osmeña is a drug lord’.
“Is that the way you defend yourself? Don’t mislead the public,” the mayor added.