- American Airlines flight from Philadelphia to Cleveland was diverted to Pittsburgh Saturday when a woman suffered an allergic reaction after eating a bag of chips
- Ashley Spencer said that if it weren’t for the efforts of two doctors on the flight, she might not have survived
A doctor from Cleveland was hailed a hero after saving the life of a woman who had an allergic reaction on board an American Airlines flight from Philadelphia to Cleveland Saturday.
Ashley Spencer, 28, was traveling to Cleveland for treatment of a serious illness but went into anaphylactic shock due to a peanut allergy.
According to ABC News, Spencer had eaten a bag of chips before boarding her flight that she believes triggered an allergic reaction while she was mid-air on the plane. She said she passed out and started to go into anaphylactic shock.
“I stopped breathing,” she said. “That’s when the stewardess said, ‘Is there any medical professionals on the aircraft? It’s an emergency.'”
Flight attendants asked if there were any medical professionals on the flight, and that’s when Dr. Erich Kiehl, an electrophysiology fellow from the Cleveland Clinic, and another doctor from North Carolina stepped up to help Spencer.
The men reportedly injected Spencer with an EpiPen four separate times and monitored her vitals over and over.
The plane later made an emergency landing in Pittsburgh and Spencer was rushed to the hospital, where she is recovering from the reaction.
“I am beyond thankful,” she said. “I could have died up there.”
Whew! She got lucky there were doctors in the flight.