- DOT Secretary Wanda Teo resigned, and was not fired
- Lawyer Ferdinand Topacio said his client stepped down ‘out of delicadeza’
- Topacio clarified Teo handed her resignation letter hours before the Monday Cabinet meeting
MANILA, Philippines – Atty. Ferdinand Topacio, the lawyer of Department of Tourism (DOT0 Secretary Wanda Teo, has clarified on Tuesday that his client ‘voluntarily’ stepped down from her post and was not sacked.
Topacio said Teo resigned out of delicadeza following her one-on-one meeting with President Rodrigo Duterte in Malacañang on Monday amid the controversial Tourism ad contract worth P60-M which was reportedly paid to her brother’s media outfit, Bitag Media Unlimited Inc. (BMUI).
“Her decision to leave her position was made after a long and deliberate reflection and soul-searching with respect to the events that have transpired the past few weeks,” said Topacio in a statement to reporters.
Earlier, Philstar, citing reliable source, claimed that Duterte asked for Teo’s resignation right after the Monday night Cabinet meeting. This was immediately denied by Teo’s camp.
“She called me right after the meeting and she told me about what transpired. There was no such demand for her to tender her resignation,” Topacio said earlier in the day.
Topacio further clarified Teo has personally handed her resignation letter to the Office of the Executive Secretary (OES) on Monday afternoon; hours before the Cabinet meeting with Duterte.
The lawyer also maintained his client’s innocence in the allegation and thanked the Duterte administration for the privilege of having served as its Tourism Secretary.
“Teo reiterates that she has done no wrongdoing, and that all the dealings of the DOT went through all legal processes, were above-board and done in good faith, and with total absence of malice,” said Topacio.
“She wishes her successor well and commits to continue helping President Duterte in his advocacy for positive change even in her capacity as a private citizen,” the lawyer added.