Woman claims she delivered her baby alone overseas using video-sharing website

  • Tia Freeman from Nashville, Tennessee gave birth to a healthy baby boy weeks ago
  • She went into labor on a flight to Turkey and made it to her hotel before giving birth in the bathtub with the help of videos from YouTube

A woman from Nashville, Tennessee claims she used the video-sharing website, YouTube, to deliver her own baby after going into labor alone in a hotel room overseas.

According to IB Times, Tia Freeman, a computer specialist in the U.S. Air Force, on Tuesday, posted the story of the birth of her child in a series of messages on Twitter, which has since been shared thousands of times among the online community as of Friday.

Freeman, 22, said she made it to her hotel room in Istanbul after a plane flight where she realized that her stomach pains were contractions. But being alone in a foreign country and having no knowledge of hospitals in the area, she turned to the internet for help.

“I literally was on YouTube typing like how to deliver a baby,” Freeman said. “Scroll, scroll, scroll and yup, that video looks like they know what they’re talking about.”

Freeman filled the hotel bathtub with water for a birthing station and grabbed two towels; one to bite down on during the delivery and another to coddle the newborn.

She said she pushed about five times before the head of her baby boy surfaced. Then, with the help of an online article, Freeman said she used shoelaces and a sterilized pocketknife to cut the baby’s umbilical cord.  She breastfed her baby, cleaned up the bathroom, and just went to sleep — not to the hospital.

“Immediately, security knew something was up,” she said. “They called in a doctor and nurse and I called the U.S. consulate.”

The next day, Freeman tried to fly out with her baby, only to be informed that she had to have some kind of documentation for him. Eventually, word got out about what happened and Istanbul officials issued the baby an emergency passport and the two were then rushed to a nearby hospital where they spent two weeks for care before traveling back to Tennesee.

Fortunately Freeman and her baby are both healthy. What a brave mom!